- Name: Son Goku (孫 悟空)
- Species: Saiyan
- Gender: Male
- Height: 5 ft 9 inches
- Weight: 140 lbs
Son Goku is the main protagonist of the widely popular Dragon Ball anime and manga series. He is loosely based off Sun Wukong (the Monkey King), the main character in the chinese novel “Journey to the West.” Goku is most notably known for being an easy-going, energetic kid who loves to eat. But when a real battle arrives he is focused and determined to protect his friends at all costs.
Throughout the series Goku becomes stronger by training and fighting evil villains. He soon finds out he not an earthling (human) but a Saiyan; a warrior race from another planet. His birth name is Kakarrot (カカロット). Goku develops his powers and begins mastering the ability to concentrate chi (ki or “energy”) and use it in attacks such as the Kamehameha wave; one of Goku’s most powerful blasts.
In his first appearance in shonen jump, Goku is introduced in chapter 1 (Bulma and Son Goku) as a highly energetic, monkey-tailed, martial art practicing boy with some incredible strenth and power. After Goku joins Bulma (a new friend who eventually runs a large company called capsule corp.) the two quickly start the journey to find the mythical Dragon Balls (hence the name for this series). The Dragon Balls have the ability to grant wishes but all seven must be collected and present in the same location.
As Goku ages into an adult, he marries Chi Chi and has children of his own. As bigger, stronger villains try to destroy planet earth, Goku strives to become more powerful. He reaches his highest level of Super Saiyan level four in Dragon Ball GT. At the end of Dragon Ball Z, his highest Super Saiyan level was three.
Goku, like other Saiyans, has developed a number of different skills over his life. Such abilities include chi blasts like the Kamehameha wave and Spirit Bomb. A side from being exceptionally fast and skilled in martial arts, Goku as mastered the following techniques.
- Kamehameha Wave – Originally taught to him by Master Roshi, Goku perfects the kamehameha wave and becomes known for this skill. He later teaches the ability to his children and other friends. When he performs this ability Goku places his palms together in a cupped position on the right side of his body near his hips. His right leg is placed behind his left and his knees are slightly bent. He proceeds to say the words “KA… MEEE… HAAA.. MEEE..” and with a final shout “HAAA!!!” he thrusts his arms forward and shoots the chi blast at his target.
- Spirit Bomb – Goku places his hands above his head and begins collecting Ki from all over the world. He asks friends, family and even the earth to lend its energy to him. All this energy is then collected in to a massive energy ball.
- Instant Transmission – This is one of Goku’s personal techniques; He places his fingers to his forehead then disappears, only to reappear in a different location. He uses this several different times throughout the Dragon Ball series. It’s noteworthy to mention that this technique is used to move instantly from locations which are very far apart. This should not be confused with a “trance.” A trance happens when a Dragon Ball character moves really fast from one spot to another over a very short distance.
Goku goes through almost every level of super saiyan in the Dragon Ball franchise. While the main SS (Super Saiyan) levels are 1,2,3 and 4; there are a few in between. Listed below are some pictures and short descriptions of Goku in his many different transformations.
(Oozaru) This is a form goku takes on when he is younger (primarily in the Dragon Ball series). In this form Goku transforms in to a large monkey with an extremely bad temper. He loses sight of who he is and simply destroys anything and everything. In order for this transformation to take place; the saiyan must have his tail (which he/she is born with) and their must be a full moon.
(SS1 or SSJ1) is the first “Super” saiyan (Saiya-jin) level; Goku reaches this level for his first time during his fight with frieze in the Dragon Ball Z series. Frieze had just killed Goku’s best friend Krillin which throws Goku is a fit of rage. After several minutes of powering up, he able to transform into the first level of super saiyan.
Goku achieves this second form of Super Saiyan before he fights Takon in Dragon Ball Z. The overall appearance is very similar to that of SS1. The only noticeable difference, a side from the overall power level, is sharper golden hair and a distinctive electric blue sparks crackling around the aura energy.
This is the strongest saiyan level during the Dragon Ball Z series. Goku achieves this at the very end, during the Majin Buu saga. The aura appearance is almost exactly like SS2 but the hair is much different. It is now long (waist length) and not quite as sharp or rigid. Also, Goku’s eye brows disappear in this form. Much like other super saiyan levels, power is drained rapidly which allows for Goku to stay in this form for a short duration.
Goku goes through this transformation during the Dragon Ball GT series; a long with other saiyans. For the saiyan to go through this transformation they must be looking at a full moon and also have the ability to go super saiyan. The appearance is much like the original Great Ape form with the exception of having golden fur.
Goku reaches super saiyan level 4 during the Dragon Ball GT series. In this transformation Goku’s hair is black and long but not quite as long as it is in SS3 form. He also sports red fur and a tail. This form resembles a human form with monkey features. Around the bottom of Goku’s eyes are darkened. Its also noteworthy to mention that this form can be accessed at any time and doesn’t seem to have a time limit.
(SSG) Goku is able to transform into a “Super Saiyan God” during the the movie “Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods.” The apperance of this form isn’t a whole lot different than his usual form; Goku now has red hair and red eyebrows. His aura also changes but only slightly; The aura now includes a bright redish color inside a gold aura. In order for Goku to achieve this transformation he has to harness power from six other pure-hearted saiyans. In this form Goku can almost match the power of the God of Destruction.
(SSGSS) This sounds more confusing than it actually is. Goku transforms in to a SSGSS by going Super Saiyan while in the Super Saiyan God form. His hair, eyebrows and eyes turn blue. Goku’s aura is also bright blue and has a flame-like appearance. Goku uses this form in his fight with Frieza during the movie “Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F.”
As Goku grows up and ages through the Dragon Ball series he starts a nice family. He meets Chi-chi at an early age. The two eventually get married and have their first son named Gohan. Years later Goku and Chi-chi have another son called Goten, who looks a lot like Goku when he was a child.
Goku’s father’s name is Bardock and he makes his apperance in the movie ‘Dragon Ball Z: Bardock – The Father of Goku.’ Raditz, Goku’s brother, makes an appearance during the original Dragon Ball series. As Goku’s son Gohan gets older he meets a woman named Videl and the two have a child named Pan (Goku’s granddaughter).
- Wife – Chi-chi
- Son – Gohan (Oldest)
- Son – Goten (Youngest)
- Father – Bardock
- Brother – Raditz
- Granddaughter – Pan
- Daughter in-law – Videl
Toward’s the end of DBZ and through out DBGT, the Z fighters learn the ability of “fusion.” This ability requires two saiyans with very similar power levels. With this in mind, there is only one other saiyan that matches Goku’s power level; Vegeta. Goku and Vegeta perform the fusion dance on a few different occasions. During the fight with Majin Buu in DBZ and between Syn Shenron in DBGT.
- Vegito – The fusion between Goku and Vegeta where Vegeta seems to be the more dominate saiyan in the fusion is Vegito. He makes his apperance during the Buu saga.
- Gogeta – Probably the most powerful combination in the DBGT series is when Goku and Vegeta fuse together and become Gogeta. They form together as a Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta to fight the powerful Syn (Omega) Shenron.
Despite the power created by Goku and Vegeta fusing together, this event rarely happens through out the series. It is only used in times of dire need.